THE AMAZING RACE

1. Introduction

a) All of us have a prize to win in our journey in life. Maybe, our prize is a dream of becoming a very successful person upon the face of the earth. Maybe, it is a dream in our lifetime to leave an inheritance (legacy) of wealth and fame for our children’s children. (Proverbs 13: 22)

b) Do we know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?

c) Run in such a way as to get the prize.​​​​​​​​ (Corinthians 9: 24)

d) Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. (1 Corinthians 9: 25)

e) Therefore I (Paul) do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (1 Corinthians 9: 26 – 27)

f) Run with perseverance (enduring hardships with patience; persistence, without giving up) the race marked out for us. (Hebrews 12: 1)

2. What are the critical success factors for running the race to win the prize?

a) Forget the past and press on toward the goal to win the prize

i) 13Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13, 14 NIV)

ii) Paul had reason to forget what was behind – he had held the coasts of those who stoned Stephen, the first Christian martyr (Acts 7: 57 – 58).

iii) We all have done things for which we are ashamed, and we live in the tension of what we have been and what we want to be. Because our hope is in Christ, however, we can let go of past guilt and look forward to what God will help us become. Don’t dwell in the past but look forward to a fuller and more meaningful life because of your hope in Christ.

b) View things differently in our trying circumstances

i) 15All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. (Philippians 3:15 NIV)

c) Present our prayer requests without anxiety

i) 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6, 7 NIV)

ii) We all have worries on the job, in our homes, at school. But Paul’s advice is to turn our worries into prayers. Do you want to worry less? Then pray more! Whatever you start to worry, stop and pray.

iii) Jesus said in Matthew 6: 34 “Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

d) Maintain an attitude of contentment in all circumstances

i) 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:11-13 NIV)

ii) Are you contented in any circumstances you face? Paul knew how to be contented whether he had plenty of whether he was in need. The secret was drawing on Christ’s power for strength.

iii) If you always want more, ask God to remove that desire and teach you contentment in every circumstance. He will supply all your needs, but in a way that he knows is best for you.

e) Believe God to meet all our needs

i) 19And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19 NIV)

f) Fight the good fight, finish the race, and keep the faith till the end

i) 6For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6-8 NIV)

ii) A drink offering consisted of wine poured out on an altar as a sacrifice to God (see Genesis 35:14; Exodus 29:41). Its fragrance was considered pleasing to God. Paul viewed his life as an offering to God.

iii) Are we determined to fight the good fight, finished the race, and kept the faith till the end so that we may be awarded the crown of righteousness which the Lord has kept for all who have longed for his appearing?

iv) In Roman athletic games, a laurel wreath was given to the winners: a symbol of triumph and honor. It was the most coveted prize in Rome. This is probably what Paul was referring to when he spoke of “crown”.

v) 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. (2 Corinthians 5:10 NIV)

3. Prayer focus

a) Pray that we do not dwell in the past but look forward to a fuller and more meaningful life because of our hope in Christ.

b) Pray that we will take a different view in our trying circumstances and commit all our prayer requests without anxiety to God.

c) Pray that we will be content in any circumstances we face and draw our strength from Christ’s power.

d) Pray that God will meet all our needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

e) Pray that God will enable us to fight the good fight, finish the race and keep the faith till the end so that we may be awarded the crown of righteousness that the Lord had kept for all who have longed for his appearing. 

Comments