MESSIANIC PROPHECIES & FULFILLMENTS (9)

0. Introduction

a) For the Gospel writers, one of the main reasons for believing in Jesus was the way his life fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah.

b) Following is one of the main prophecies.

1. Messiah was to be struck and spat on by his enemies.

2. Old Testament Prophecies

a) Isaiah 50:6

i) 6 I gave My back to those who struck Me, And My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting. (Isaiah 50:6 NKJV)

3. New Testament Fulfillment 

a) Mark 14:65

i) 65 Then some began to spit on Him, and to blindfold Him, and to beat Him, and to say to Him, “Prophesy!” And the officers struck Him with the palms of their hands. (Mark 14:65 NKJV)

4. Other text references

i) Matthew 26:67

ii) Matthew 27:30 

Comments