ABRAHAM IN THE NEW TESTAMENT (2)

(Message by Tanny Keng)

0. Introduction

a) Let's look at Abraham in the New Testament.

1. Abraham was the father of the Jewish nation.

2. New Testament references 

a) Matthew 3:9 

i) 9 and do not think to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. (Matthew 3:9 NKJV)

b) Luke 3:8

i) 8 Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. (Luke 3:8 NKJV)

c) Acts 13:26

i) 26 “Men and brethren, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you who fear God, to you the word of this salvation has been sent. (Acts 13:26 NKJV)

d) Romans 4:1; 11:1

i) What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh? (Romans 4:1 NKJV)

ii) I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not! For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. (Romans 11:1 NKJV)

e) 2 Corinthians 11:22

i) 22 Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? So am I. (2 Corinthians 11:22 NKJV)

f) Hebrews 6:13-14

i) 13 For when God made a promise to Abraham, because He could swear by no one greater, He swore by Himself, 14 saying, “Surely blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply you.” (Hebrews 6:13-14 NKJV)

3. Explanation

a) God wanted to set apart a nation for himself, a nation that would tell the world about him. He began with a man of faith who, though old and childless, believed God's promise of innumerable descendants. We can trust God to do the impossible when we have faith.


The End ...

Comments