HOW NEHEMIAH USED PRAYER (7)

(Message by Tanny Keng)

0. Introduction

a) Despite the fact that the returned exiles had been in Jerusalem for many years, the walls of the city remained non-repaired, leaving its people defenseless and vulnerable. Upon hearing this news, Nehemiah seeks permission from the Persian king to go to Jerusalem. Arriving in Jerusalem, he mobilizes the people to begin rebuilding the wall. Faced with opposition, both from without and from within, Nehemiah perseveres until the project is complete and the city resettled. Seemingly impossible tasks can be accomplished when God is helping those who honor him and when their efforts are united.

1. What are the occasions when Nehemiah used prayer?

#1) Text reference: Nehemiah 5:14-19

@1. 14 Moreover, from the time that I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah, from the twentieth year until the thirty-second year of King Artaxerxes, twelve years, neither I nor my brothers ate the governor’s provisions. 15 But the former governors who were before me laid burdens on the people, and took from them bread and wine, besides forty shekels of silver. Yes, even their servants bore rule over the people, but I did not do so, because of the fear of God. 16 Indeed, I also continued the work on this wall, and we did not buy any land. All my servants were gathered there for the work. 

17 And at my table were one hundred and fifty Jews and rulers, besides those who came to us from the nations around us. 18 Now that which was prepared daily was one ox and six choice sheep. Also fowl were prepared for me, and once every ten days an abundance of all kinds of wine. Yet in spite of this I did not demand the governor’s provisions, because the bondage was heavy on this people. 19 Remember me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people. (Nehemiah 5:14-19 NKJV)

a) Occasion

@1. Reflecting on his own efforts to serve God.

b) Summary of his prayer

@1. "Remember me, God."

c) What prayer accomplished

@1. Kept clear in Nehemiah's mind his own motives for action.

d) Our prayers

@1. How many of your actions today will be done with the purpose of pleasing God?


The End ...

Comments