OT PROPHECIES | JESUS (9)


III. Jesus' last week, suffering and death

1. The price paid for betrayal

a) Reference: Zechariah 11:12

i) 12 Then I said to them, “If it is agreeable to you, give me my wages; and if not, refrain.” So they weighed out for my wages thirty pieces of silver. (Zechariah 11:12 NKJV)

b) Fulfillment: Matthew 26:14-15

i) 14 Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests 15 and said, “What are you willing to give me if I deliver Him to you?” And they counted out to him thirty pieces of silver. (Matthew 26:14-15 NKJV)
 
2. What would be done with the betrayal money

a) Reference: Zechariah 11:13

i) 13 And the Lord said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—that princely price they set on me. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the Lord for the potter. (Zechariah 11:13 NKJV)

b) Fulfillment: Matthew 27:3-7

i) Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, saying, “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.”

And they said, “What is that to us? You see to it!”

Then he threw down the pieces of silver in the temple and departed, and went and hanged himself.

But the chief priests took the silver pieces and said, “It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, because they are the price of blood.” And they consulted together and bought with them the potter’s field, to bury strangers in. (Matthew 27:3-7 NKJV)
 
3. Forsaken by His disciples

a) Reference: Zechariah 13:7

i) “Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd,
Against the Man who is My Companion,”
Says the Lord of hosts.
“Strike the Shepherd,
And the sheep will be scattered;
Then I will turn My hand against the little ones. (Zechariah 13:7 NKJV)


b) Fulfillment: Mark 14:50; Matthew 26:31

i) 50 Then they all forsook Him and fled. (Mark 14:50 NKJV)

ii) 31 Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:

‘I will strike the Shepherd, And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ (Matthew 26:31 NKJV) 

Comments