JESUS' PARABLES (20)

1. Jesus' Parables

a) There are 43 parables that Jesus used. The Lord Jesus frequently used parables as a means of illustrating profound, divine truths. Stories such as these are easily remembered, the characters bold, and the symbolism rich in meaning.
 
b) Jesus' parables are short stories based on the agricultural life that was intimately familiar to His original first century audience. Some aspect of an unfamiliar concept, such as the kingdom of God, was compared to something from everyday life that could easily be understood.
 
c) It has been said that a parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning. Each of Jesus' parables teaches only one or two important lessons. It is the lesson of a parable that is important to us. The story is not important in itself; it may or may not be literally true.

d) My prayer will be "Lord, for Your glory, help me understand these parables, and apply their principles to my everyday life."

2. Parable: Persistent Friend 

Luke 11:5-8 New International Version (NIV)

Then Jesus said to them, “Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have no food to offer him.’ And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’ I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity he will surely get up and give you as much as you need. 

Comments