PSALMS (55 - 1)

0. Introduction

a) Psalms is a great collection of songs and prayers expresses the heart and soul of humanity. In them, the whole range of human experiences is expressed. David and the other writers honestly pour out their true feelings, reflecting a dynamic, powerful, and life-changing relationship with God. The psalmists confess their sins, express their doubts and fears, ask God for help in times of trouble, and praise and worship him.

b) As you read Psalms, let the honesty of the psalmists guide you into a deep and genuine relationship with God.

1. Psalms 55 (1)

a) To the Chief Musician. With stringed instruments. A Contemplation of David.

2. Theme:

a) Expressing deep dismay over the treachery of a close friend. When friends hurt us, the burden is too difficult to carry alone.

3. Author:

a) David.

4. Scripture text: Psalms 55:1-15

i) Give ear to my prayer, O God,
And do not hide Yourself from my supplication.
Attend to me, and hear me;
I am restless in my complaint, and moan noisily,
Because of the voice of the enemy,
Because of the oppression of the wicked;
For they bring down trouble upon me,
And in wrath they hate me. 


My heart is severely pained within me,
And the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fearfulness and trembling have come upon me,
And horror has overwhelmed me.
So I said, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest.
Indeed, I would wander far off,
And remain in the wilderness. Selah
I would hasten my escape
From the windy storm and tempest.”

Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues,
For I have seen violence and strife in the city.
10 Day and night they go around it on its walls;
Iniquity and trouble are also in the midst of it.
11 Destruction is in its midst;
Oppression and deceit do not depart from its streets. 


12 For it is not an enemy who reproaches me;
Then I could bear it.
Nor is it one who hates me who has exalted himself against me;
Then I could hide from him.
13 But it was you, a man my equal,
My companion and my acquaintance.
14 We took sweet counsel together,
And walked to the house of God in the throng. 


15 Let death seize them;
Let them go down alive into hell,
For wickedness is in their dwellings and among them. (Psalms 55:1-15 NKJV) 

Comments