GOD MAY SAY NO: MATTHEW 26:36-46

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. God May Say No

a) God as our Heavenly Father wants to give his children those things or circumstances that will be for their good and which will glorify Him (Matthew 7:11). He desires that we pray at all times to Him and expect an answer from Him (Hebrews 11:6). However, He may say no to our request if His purpose and His will be better served in another way to glorify His name and be a witness to others.

2. Matthew 26:36-46

a) Jesus prayed, "May this cup be taken from me." He also prayed, "Your will be done." It was the Father's will that Jesus drink the cup of suffering for the sins of the world. 

Matthew 26:36-46 
36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to the disciples, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 He took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and became anguished and distressed. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved, even to the point of death. Remain here and stay awake with me.” 39 Going a little farther, he threw himself down with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if possible, let this cup pass from me! Yet not what I will, but what you will.” 

40 Then he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. He said to Peter, “So, couldn’t you stay awake with me for one hour? 41 Stay awake and pray that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if this cup cannot be taken away unless I drink it, your will must be done.” 43 He came again and found them sleeping; they could not keep their eyes open. 44 So leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same thing once more. 45 Then he came to the disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is approaching, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46 Get up, let us go. Look! My betrayer is approaching!”


The End ...

Comments