COVENANT: UNCONDITIONAL PROMISES

(Message by Tanny Keng)

1. Covenant 

a) "Jesus has obtained a more excellent ministry, because he is the mediator of a better covenant, which is based on better promises" (Hebrews 8:6-8).

b) “What sort of covenant was this new and better one?” To answer that question, we need to consider the kind of covenant.

2. Unconditional Promises

a) It is a covenant of solemn promise or vow by one party to benefit a second party without requiring the other party to fulfill any conditions.

b) For example, Ruth and Naomi...

i) Ruth made such a covenant with Naomi (Ruth 1:16-17). "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you," she said, and then uttered her covenant:

"For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you." (Ruth 1:16-17).

c) For example, the rainbow promise...

i) God's rainbow promise is also such a covenant. God made a promise never again to destroy the whole world with a flood, and he set his bow in the sky as a sign of this covenant (Genesis 9:8-17). The people of Earth are not required to do anything to benefit from this promise.


d) Was the new covenant mediated by Jesus Christ one of unconditional promises? No, it was not. \


The End ...

Comments